Think of your passwords as keys to your online house. You wouldn’t have the same key unlock your house, your office, your car, and your safety deposit box, would you? So why would you use the same password for your blog, PayPal, your bank’s website, your email, and any number of other sites and online services?
Yet many people do. And just as you wouldn’t lock up your house with a sailor’s knot, why would you lock up your blog with your easily guessed pet’s name?
Password Dos and Don’ts:
- DO use strong, long passwords.
- DO use a different password for each account.
- DO invest in a password manager.
- DON’T write your passwords down, email them, or share them with anyone.
- DON’T forget to log out on shared computers.
- DO enable two-step authentication where available.